Choosing a Commercial HVAC Contractor in Milwaukee
When choosing a commercial HVAC company to support your business’s heating, cooling, and indoor air quality needs, you want a contractor who is reliable, honest, well-trained, and experienced. But how can you evaluate each potential HVAC contractor to be assured of these crucial traits? The key is to ask the right questions, verify responses, and go with your gut.
What to Look for When Hiring a Commercial HVAC Professional
Your checklist for choosing the right HVAC contractor for your business:
- Insurance/Licensing: Check the state license and ask for proof of insurance from any commercial HVAC professional you are planning to work with.
- References: Make sure to verify references, ideally other commercial clients in a similar industry and/or of a similar size to your business. Ask these customers about their experience and impressions of the contractor. Find out if jobs are completed on time and on budget. Learn whether the HVAC company principals are actively involved in the business and easy to approach/contact as needed.
- Professional Affiliations: These memberships and partnerships are a sign that your HVAC pro is actively involved in their industry. Commercial HVAC companies with affiliations and professional ties are more likely than others to stay informed about the latest trends, technology, and best practices. Many organizations have high standards for membership, so this indicates that other brands/companies approve of the contractor.
- Accreditation and Training: The state of Wisconsin is somewhat lax about training requirements for HVAC professionals. You need to do your own research to make sure technicians are qualified to work on your commercial HVAC equipment before they set foot on your property. Look for NATE certification and EPA licensure, and make sure you’re comfortable with the level of training technicians/employees receive.
- Request a Bid: Request an itemized bid for your project after the contractor has inspected your workplace. This helps you ensure the contractor is sincerely interested in working for your company. You can also gauge the level of professionalism and communication skills of the HVAC contractor.
- Visit an Existing Job Site: You’ll be able to see the level of organization (or disorganization) that the HVAC contractor typically maintains.
- Meet the Foreman or Point Person: Ask to be introduced to the project manager and get a sense of the manager’s communication skills, approachability, etc.
- Evaluate Warranties: Make sure the commercial HVAC contractor stands behind their work.
- Get it in Writing: It’s essential to have a clear, written, and signed agreement that outlines expectations, scope, deadlines, duration of contract, and other key details. A handshake is not good enough, even if you trust the other person/company. Your contract will protect both parties and help resolve disagreements if they arise.
Importance of Hiring a Professional
Hiring a licensed, professional commercial HVAC contractor will make your business life easier going forward. Should there ever be bumps in the road, they are infinitely easier to smooth out when you’re dealing with a pro. Always choose a contractor you like dealing with and can easily communicate with. You can’t beat skilled, honest, dedicated, and cooperative!
Where to Go for Commercial HVAC in Milwaukee
At Midwest Heating & Cooling, our team is committed to the highest standards in dependability, professionalism, and complete customer satisfaction.